My 18th birthday

My 18th is/was a HUGE milestone for me, as a symbolic rebirth. I have crossed the bridge to being a woman. I am no longer the child I used to be. She died long ago, and I have been waiting in a sort of mental limbo for the last three years or so. Finally, at long last, I have been re-born, like a phoenix from its ashes. I am a different person from that little girl. I am Werandra. There is one more transformation until I am totally free, (when I reach 21), but I am in no hurry. I must take it one step at a time. I see this milestone as my re-birth; now this fresh young phoenix must strengthen her wings to master her new-found ability of flight. When I reach the next milestone at 21, she will finally be able to soar, queen of her own skies and her rule own domain, free from all chains.

 While I'm still a child in the eyes of some (and always will be, to certain individuals), I am an adult in the eyes of the law, and am starting my journey- free from the chains of being a minor. This is both scary and exciting. Adulthood comes with its own set of privileges and problems, different from childhood. As a minor, I was very limited on what I could do on my own, and was more protected (in both good ways and bad). While more steps towards freedom were gained with every birthday prior to this one, I was always under the roof of "you have to be at least 18 to do this or that". While I'm still bound by certain legal obligations that require an individual to be 21 or older, I'm at a point in my life where I won't be doing those things anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

 The major thing that makes 21 a milestone is that I will no longer be covered under my mother's insurance, which is both good and bad. Bad, because I have to fend for my own insurance, but good, because I can finally legally change my name. I've talked it over with her, and despite my pleas and woes, she's not allowing me to change my legal name because she says it's too much hassle, with documentation and such, since she's the one who'd have to handle it. While this upsets me greatly, I do understand where she's coming from, seeing as she still manages my legal things like insurance, doctor visits, ect, and I still live under her roof. However, understanding and respecting her decision does not mean I agree with or support it. I feel trapped, being unable to completely shed my childhood persona by changing my legal name, but find comfort in the fact that it isn't forever.

  As my good friend, Steve Sheppard, once put it, it's only my legal name. I can introduce as or be known by whatever name I want. I'm still working my relatives into calling me by my middle name (because, for some reason, they respect my choice to go by my legal middle name more than the choice to go by name I chose for myself, which I find arbitrary and disrespectful). Some of them aren't trying as hard than others, which irritates me. It's a sensitive area, all the reasons I'd like to change my name, so I won't get into all of them, at least, not now. The main reason is that when a person refers to me by my first name, instead of my self-given name (or at least my middle name), they're not speaking to me, they're speaking to the child I used to be.  It shows they still see me as that child, which means they do not see me for who I truly am. That child is not me anymore, and I'm no longer her. As I said previously, she's dead; I am a new person.

  Anyway, back to what I was saying: becoming an adult comes with its own set of pros and cons. On the good side, with my newfound freedom, I can explore the world with MUCH more independence, and explore my artistic pursuits and passions to the fullest. The neutral is that I'm faced with more responsibility, which is, as implied, is both good and bad. The bad side of this that immediately comes to mind would be dealing with all the creeps I encounter, both online and offline. Previously, I was able to hide behind the wall of "I'm a minor", which was unable to be argued with, but now that defense is no longer applicable. Of course, my stock terms are legally binding no matter my age portrayed in the images because I own the rights to images themselves. Another plus side of no longer being a minor is that, if need be, (and I pray it will never, ever come to this extent), if I need to sue to protect my images/art, I'm able to. I'm a big girl, now, I can stand up for myself. Even so, I have my Royal Court backing me up if I need them. I'm so lucky to have as many good friends as I have! <3

 I am truly a blessed person. I really love my life- I wouldn't trade it for any other. It's just filled with happiness and absolutely flowing with love. I have SO much to be thankful for, and I'll make another post on that later, but for right now, I want to say thank you to my family. Not only the ones who happen to be relatives by blood, but my friends, the people who truly love and support me. Without you guys, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am to-day, or on the path to where I'm going. In fact, I don't even want to think about where I'd be without certain individuals. So many people have touched my life, in both big ways and small, and I'm thankful for every one of them. I'd like to give thanks to the loyal members of the Royal Court as well, who have done so much for me in ways they don't even realize. I love you all, and thank you for everything. <3


 Anyway! Now that my coming of age speech is out of the way, let's talk about what I did on the actual day of celebration! June 9th, 2015. :) 

  If you've been following me on my artistic journey, you'll know that I was in Massachusetts visiting in my friend, Lindsay, and that we planned the visit so my birthday would be spent with her, up in Salem. :) We did, and it was lovely! Her dad took us, and gave us free range to run around and check out the shops and touristy places. It was really fun!


Wore my fanciest hipscarf- it is a celebration, after all!

Here we are! :)
  Lindsay knew in advance that she wanted to buy me a pack of beautiful tarot cards for my birthday while we were together (it became a running joke, especially regarding the gypsy fortune teller stereotype), and she did. :) They're so pretty!  While I was there, I also bought a beautiful mermaid necklace and a bunch of Venetian masks. I went a bit crazy and bought six of the masks in different colours, because they were so pretty and sooo cheap ($5 or so vs the $20-30 I've seen online), and hey, it's my birthday! :) I hope to use them in photoshoots soon!


My new mermaid necklace
  Mum sent me a really long, heartfelt text, and called me while we were in Salem to sing "happy birthday". :) It was really sweet of her! <3 Lindsay's dad took us out for lunch, too. I got crab bisque (topped with bacon, how delicious!) and chicken tenders. Everything was absolutely scrumptious.


  When I got home late that night, Mum and Dad were waiting at the airport. It was so good to see them, even though I had a great time away from home. :) When I got back to the house, I found a present from Orion that Mum said he had left for me. It was a huge print of my favourite painting- "The Mermaid", by John William Waterhouse. :D It was wrapped in the most beautiful wrapping paper, too, thanks Orion! I had to save as much of it as I could to re-use in crafts.

 I also got some glittery purple Kinetic Sand and some cash from my parents as birthday gifts; usually we go the route of physical presents vs money, but there wasn't really anything I wanted besides the sand, and I'm trying to slim down on unneeded possessions anyway. The cash will help fund future endeavors. ;) I LOVE the purple glitter Kinetic sand. IT'S SO PRETTY. Thanks, Mum and Dad!


  My birthday was wonderful. I'm so happy I reached this milestone with friends and family supporting me the whole way. Life is good. Thanks to everybody who's made my birthday, and my life, special. <3


Love,
Queen Werandra

PS: Thank you to my friend, Steve Sheppard for extending my deviantArt premium membership for my birthday :)
My 18th birthday My 18th birthday Reviewed by WerandRa on 2:33 PM Rating: 5

No comments: