Photoshoot as Fantine from "Les Miserables"

  In the last post, you read that my photographer friend, Brianna Walsh, came over for the day. Besides the mermaid photos we did, we also did a photoshoot featuring me as Fantine from "Les Miserables". I had been planning it for a very long time. It was one of my favourite shoots that I've done, and very special to me.







  While I've had the costume and concept in mind for quite some time, I finally decided to do it now- for several reasons. The first reason is aesthetics of the role; I'm incredibly underweight right now, which fits the character very well. However, since I've become very serious in my efforts of gaining weight, I won't ever have this opportunity for such realism again.

  Speaking of realism, the second reason was that the weather was perfect. It was very cold and slightly snowy here, just as it was in several other renditions of story (including the original novel). Suffering the cold helped me to get in the mindset the character, who suffered very much. The winter setting also helped add so much gloom.

  The third and most important reason was that I recently auditioned for Fantine in a local performance of the musical version of Les Mis, but was, unfortunately, denied the role. I was not only turned down, but not given any part in the play at all. It was quite a shock, as I was sure I would at least get a background role. In my defense, I have a strong feeling that it was not for a lack of talent (I heard one of the judges at the audition quietly say to another "Ohhh, she's good!"), but because the audition website specified an age range of which I just fell short. They specified ages 18-50, but I had to give it a shot anyway. I strongly believe that was the only reason I wasn't given a role. Most likely due to legal reasons, I assume. While I was incredibly disappointed, it didn't discourage me for future auditions. There will be other opportunities; when one door closes, another opens. So, even though I was denied the role this time on stage, I still got to play the character in my own way. This made the shoot that much more special.



  The place on the story's timeline that I'm portraying is after she hits rock bottom and becomes a prostitute, but before she's arrested (or, as she's being arrested, as some of the titles imply).  The majority of the titles, and some of the poses themselves, were inspired by two songs from the musical: "Lovely Ladies", and "Fantine's Arrest". A few of the titles also came from the famous song, "I Dreamed a Dream".  We played some of those from my phone as we were shooting to help set the mood.

  The blonde wig was specially chosen as short as possible, to portray how Fantine, (whose blonde lockes were a big part of her character's description in the novel), cut and sold her hair. It was also cut and styled it a little bit to fit my personal aesthetic preferences. I lightened my eyebrows using a cosmetic cosplay trick, so they would match the wig for another layer of realism.

  The ripped fishnet leggings show desperation in several ways: being ripped up to show poverty, and the nature of the garment itself (combined with the short dress) representing prostitution- how she had to sink to selling her body to support her child. They also cling to my legs, emphasizing my thinness, which adds to the character and her desperation, since she's starving in the streets. The dress itself is grey, representing depression and gloom. While it's not an explicitly vintage style dress, it was selected because it looked rather "peasant-ish", in a modern way, at least. I think it worked absolutely perfectly. The grey shawl's grey colour represents the same as the dress', so the grey-on-grey colour scheme seems to amplify the feeling. The fringe of the shawl adds a tattered effect that ties in the theme of poverty together, while adding a vintage flair.

 The shoes I chose can't be appreciated in all their worn-out glory in most of the pictures. They were actually my own go-to shoes from last year. You know, the pair of folding flats I keep in my purse, in case I get yelled at for being barefoot somewhere I shouldn't? Those. I literally wore them until they were falling apart, as they are now, so they also fit the character- even if their extremely poor condition can't be seen in every picture. They're black and minimalistic, so they're not distracting from the rest of the outfit. If you look close, you can see they each have a tiny little bow. This implies they were probably nice shoes at one point, but their condition shows they have long since passed their intended lifespan of use. In this context that represents, again, poverty: she cannot afford new ones. I, however, can, and have a lovely new pair for this year, don't worry. :)

  The backgrounds were chosen specifically to be minimalistic and dreary, yet still artistic and fitting. We made sure snow shown in some shots, not only because there was snow present in the novel, but also to emphasize how cold it was outside in the real world. In the photos near the end of the shoot, you can see how the cold reddened my hands. That was legitimate, not make-up.  I did, however, apply makeup my face, arms, and hands to look dirty. Originally, I wanted to really drive the prostitute image home with some over-emphasized facial makeup, like the "lovely ladies" in the stage production, but it didn't look as good on my face as it did in my mind's eye. It was too distracting, so scrapped the idea. 

  I purposely didn't shave for this shoot, to add to the effect of desperation. Starving on the streets with pits perfectly smooth like a baby's butt? I don't think so! However, It didn't occur to me until AFTER the shoot, that my pit hair is dark, and my wig/eyebrows were light. Whoops!

Here are just a tiny sampling of the shoot.
Brianna did such a great job!
(click images to enlarge)

















As always, see my deviantArt gallery for the full collection!

I am so proud of the these photos turned out. Brava, Brianna! Thanks for photographing. :)
I enjoyed this shoot so much, even if it was terribly cold, haha.
Until next time, dear reader. Stay tuned!

Love,
Queen Werandra

Photoshoot as Fantine from "Les Miserables" Photoshoot as Fantine from "Les Miserables" Reviewed by WerandRa on 11:30 PM Rating: 5

No comments: